Learning Zone 2019 Competition
Another year means another competition and this time, we would like to see you put your Fortnite skills to the test and build us an epic satellite “parkour course” for our 2019 challenge:
The parkour course should include some of the satellites that we operate and maybe ground stations, our headquarters or even your own satellite designs. We want to see what you can do!
Whether you’re a Fortnite pro or new to the game, this competition is open to anybody playing the creative mode and your designs should all be built using the features of this mode.
What is Fortnite Creative?
Fortnite Creative is a “sandbox”-style game – this means that you have the ability to create your own environment and modify it how you’d like. This mode is a feature available inside the main game that allows you to create structures on a private island and move/erase objects as you see fit.
What should I build?
With this in mind, we want to see if you can build a parkour-type course and use your imagination to create something truly out of this world…
Provide us with a fun course that we can run and jump our way through and also feel at home in, that showcases our satellite fleet/buildings, or your own designs. Below you will find a couple of example satellites:
Here is a useful link just in case you’re not familiar with the creative mode/parkour courses. It shows you how to use the in-game mobile phone to spawn items. By adding “Player Spawn” and “Player Checkpoint” floors and layering them with traps, you will be able to create your own parkour mini game within your island. To begin, go to your island options, press the Start button and away you go!
As usual, we will offer some fantastic prizes to our winners from each age range:
1st prize: An Oculus Go VR 64GB bundle (will include VR set, case and stand) or a DJI Osmo Pocket (your choice) + a satellite image of the globe from the day you were born + goodie bag
2nd prize: Raspberry Pi + satellite image (as above) + goodie bag
3rd prize: V Bucks (20 euros) + goodie bag
The important stuff
Please make sure you read the following criteria carefully and ask an adult to check on your behalf if needed:
1) This competition is open to participants aged 12-22. The judging will be broken down into three separate age categories: 12-15, 16-19, 20-22
2) Create up to five levels of satellite-themed parkour courses on your Fortnite Creative island using EUMETSAT satellites, ground stations and facilities such as our headquarters as your inspiration
3) Creative Mode – use the Fortnite materials available via the mobile phone inventory: Prefabs, Galleries, Devices, Consumables and Chest. Please don’t use the Weapons option – we’re all about good, clean fun here. However, feel free to use mobility items (such as Impulse Grenades) found in the Devices section of the inventory to spice up your course!
4) You might need some help from others – that’s okay! However, prizes will only be awarded to one winner and so, you must be the mastermind behind the project or team leader
5) We will only accept entries that are a parkour-style course, no other course styles will be accepted
You should also take a look at the official Code of Conduct via the Epic Games website here.
Please take some high quality videos of your virtual space oddity and submit them to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’d like to see you using the course – show us how it works. You can upload your videos to YouTube or send them using WeTransfer.
The deadline for all submissions is 30 November 2019 and winners will be announced early 2020.
How will my entry be judged?
The judges will score and rank the entry videos/images based on the following criteria:
- Creativity & originality – we’re looking for a really imaginative and fun parkour course
- Effort & time taken – points will be given to those that look like a lot of work went into creating the course
- Aesthetic & design – we want to see how well you can replicate EUMETSAT satellites and facilities – it’s all in the details!
All videos will be checked by the communications team at EUMETSAT, some of whom are keen Fortnite players!
If you have any questions related to the competition, please don’t hesitate to get in touch either via the email address: email@example.com or any of our social media accounts.
We look forward to receiving all of your entries! Good luck to all participants.